Saturday 28 July 2007

Yoga & massage - two of my favourite things!

Yesterday I was lucky enough to be given a massage by my friend and It suddenly made me realise quite how battered my muscles were. The massage really eased up a few of the problem areas and gave me a nice introduction the the yoga workshop I attended this morning. I now feel very relaxed and I do not have the same niggling sensation in my right thigh. When I say massage it was not one of these light fingertip jobs but more of a pummeling which is exactly what my body needed.

Both Yoga and Massage look at the body's alignment and work on bringing the body back to its natural position. They also boost the circulatory system sending blood and therefore oxygen to the areas that need it.I have always talked about the importance of posture and yoga certainly enforces this. I get far less injuries from pole dancing when I keep up to date with my yoga practice. Yoga is also a great tool for the mind and definitely helps alleviate stress.


Sports massage is highly recommended to help ease injury but it is good practice to get into something like yoga to avoid some of the injury in the first place. If you can't afford a massage then you can do some massage yourself or ask someone else to manipulate an area - there is lots of helpful advice on the internet for learning to massage but of course always approach these things with caution.. We all tend to use one side of our body more than the other just being left or right handed means that you use one part of the body in a different way to the other and therefore you create an imbalance. If we were all ambidextrous we would be using our bodies in a better way as well as increasing the brain activity.

I found a nice web page that talks about yoga and dispels some of the myths that put people of attending a yoga class. Click here for more info. If you are considering yoga look at your own ability and decide exactly what you want to get out of the class, find the type of class that fits your needs. Like with all activites there are good and bad instructors so just because you attend one class and don't like ti does not mean that all other classes will be the same.

Thanks to Lesley bishop my yoga teacher fro a great session this morning and thanks to Fi for my wonderful massage yesterday.

Have a great weekend and if you are attending the Plymouth Real Ale Festival today remember to drink lots of water tomorrow! Stay healthy,


Sam x

No comments: